I saw Jennifer McGuire do this technique and thought it was really an interesting one to try. You need a background stamp and I forgot to tell you something I do to save space. I use a Stampin’ Up background stamp and then I mount another company’s stamp on the back of it. This stamp is from Rubberneckers and is called Abstract Roses that I think is now retired. I used Tim Holtz Watercolor paper and put it on a craft mat or in my case, a cutting plastic mat from the Dollar Tree. I rubbed a pouch with corn starch in it over the paper. I laid my stamp on the matt and then used Versamark Ink on the stamp then laid the watercolor paper over that and rubbed it well to make sure the ink transferred from to the paper. I used Ranger clear embossing powder with a piece of scrap paper on it to lay my paper on and then covered it with the powder. Make sure you don’t have any stray powder on your paper and then pour the excess off the paper onto the scrap and put the powder back in the bottle. Heat set the paper. Once the powder is shiny, it’s done. I could have used foam daubers, but chose to just use my ink pads and pressed into the paper in a random paper. I used Seedless Preserves, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Dusty Concord and Mowed Lawn Distress Inks. Once I was done, I wiped the paper with an old baby washcloth (that can be reused and washed) to remove ink from the areas that were embossed. I used a glimmer spray on it that I made from using an old spray bottle for spray cologne (buy them at garage sales for a great bargain), and fill it about 2/3rd full with either water or inexpensive alcohol and put MICA powder into it and swirl it like you would ring a bell. I used L A Colors eye shadow you can buy in a pot from the Dollar Tree. I shook my bottle to make sure the mica is not on the bottom of the bottle (again, shake it like a bell), and then spray the surface. I saturated my paper and then let it air dry. Jennifer said she did not like using the heat tool on this technique (but I don’t remember why), so I did not.
Once it is dry, put down a piece of scrap paper and lay your paper down then add another scrap paper and put your old iron on a non-spray setting and iron until you can see the pattern is coming through the scrap. The purpose of this is to take the shine and raised image off the embossing powder and flatten our project. I made a card that is 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″ and put a layer of purple paper that was 5 1/4″ x 4″ and then cut my watercolor background down to 5″ x 3 3/4″.
I used a stamp set Hero Arts Just Saying Hi stamp set and vellum for my sentiment. I used Embossing Pearl Gold embossing powder that was old, but still worked. I ran my pouch of corn starch over vellum and then put the vellum in my MISTI and stamped the image and the telephone on the vellum. I heat set it and then cut it like a banner and attached it to the card using tape runner under the phone and writing. I added some sequins with glue dots and put more glue dots under the vellum where the sequins were to adhere the vellum to the card. Anything you put under vellum will show through the vellum so it’s important that you hide the glue under things.
I thought the card was cute and hope you like this technique. The video of this technique on Jennifer’s YouTube page is: