10/22/2016

I’m working on my last Halloween projects and I’m really sad about it.  Halloween is such a great time for making and giving gifts.  I’m sorry you missed a couple of my videos due to the loss of the memory cards, but I’m getting over it now.  I have a stamp that I’ve been meaning to use called Tableau of Terror, and just came up with a cute card idea for it.  You’ll need to wait to see this one.

The other project I made is taking bottles that are vintage looking that I got at both the Dollar Tree and A C Moore.  All were a dollar each, and I found different uses for each of them. There’s a couple of websites where you can print spooky labels and one I really liked.  It had crows feathers and dust of unicorn horn etc.  I loved both of them and had a bag of feathers that were perfect for this idea.  I distressed the labels and then put them on their respective bottles.  One looked like it held powder, which is perfect for unicorn horn dust.  Try saying that three times fast.  After I put the label on it, I filled it with grape Kool-Aid powder which is the closest thing to unicorn horn dust I had on hand.  Then I put three feathers in the crow’s feather bottle and called it a day.

The last bottle looked like an old ornate liquor bottle so I used a label that came from the Dollar Tree and used Mop N Glo mixed with re-inker to color the bottle. (My other two bottles were already colored.)  I swirled the Mop n Glo mixture around in the bottle but didn’t get a very distinct color from it.  So I turned the bottle upside down and let it sit for a couple of days.  I was using that time for the Mop n Glo mix to evaporate (or thicken a little bit.)  It worked really well.  This time when I poured the mix inside and swirled it around, the color was a lot more vibrant and I really liked the results.  It even stained the cork, which added to the vintage look of it.  I had previous tried a recipe I’d seen on the web of a mixture of food coloring and Mod Podge.  I’m not sure why mine was a failure, maybe the opening was too narrow, but the Mod Podge never completely dried, so my blood red looked pink.  There’s nothing spooky or creepy about a pink bottle.  So I rinsed it out and started over.  My first instinct was to use the Mop n Glo idea as it worked so well for Christmas ornaments last year, but the YouTuber convinced me that Mod Podge was the way to go.  I should have stuck with my first instinct, but I really just wanted to try that recipe anyway.  I’m always trying to find new and better ways to do things, but this definitely wasn’t one of them.  The end result is a bottle that’s almost whiskey brown in color and looks terrific.  Now all I have to do is finish my Tableau of Terror card and Halloween 2016 is a wrap.  I’m sad to say it’s over, but I’m on to fall and Thanksgiving and Christmas crafts.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s