Embossing Over Watercolor

I saw Gina K from Stamp TV do this technique a long time ago and thought I’d give it a try. Of course hers never looked as bad as mine did for most of the video…

I started with a piece of Fabriano Hot Press Watercolor paper that was 5″ x 3 3/4″ and layered a bright pink piece of card stock under it that was 5 1/4″ X 4″ then used a base that was 5 1/2″ X 4 1/4″ of white Recollections heavyweight 110 lb card stock.

I took water based markers from Stampin’ Up with brush tips and drew simple flowers where I intended to stamp floral stamps over them. I did stamp some leaves, but changed my mind about them later on. After coloring the rough flowers (very rough), I wet them then heat set them.

After the paper was dry, I put it in the MISTI and lined my stamps up so they laid over the flowers I’d scribbled. I used Versafine Ink and stamped it after using my new powder brush on it to ensure no stray powder stayed behind. I used “the worlds best embossing powder” that I bought from Rubbernecker Stamps at the stamp show I attended..here’s the link  http://tinyurl.com/ybpznupf

After heat setting the flowers, I stamped two ferns, after using a variety of green markers directly on the fern stamp. It’s a very old wooden rubber stamp and I’m not sure of the maker. I put embossing powder on the fern images, and heat set them as well.
I know it looks horrible, but now comes the magic.  I took a small sponge dauber and Simon Says Stamp Intense Black Ink and rubbed it all over the front of the card to hide all of my imperfections. The flower stamps I used were not line stamps, but full images so the black ink would not cover the embossed images.   Make sure you use a full image stamp and not an outlined image stamp when doing this technique.
I took green ribbon and taped it around the back of the card, and glued the front of the card to the pink layer.
I used an oval die for the sentiment from the Inky Antics Simple Sentiments set. I took an Open Chamomile stamp from pegstamps.com and here’s the link to it.  http://tinyurl.com/ya64qrkm  and stamped it around the sentiment with the same SSS Intense black ink. I also stamped a small fern stamp from pegstamps.com (here’s the link http://tinyurl.com/yd46glf8 ) with Stampin’ Up handsome hunter ink. I took the same markers I used to color the flowers on the card to color the open chamomile on the sentiment oval. I put foam squares under the oval and laid it on the ribbon.
I had some tiny beads in bright pink and clear plastic that I applied to the centers of the flowers on the card and on the sentiment with wet glue. I let the card sit overnight and finally, it didn’t look scary any more..
The flower stamps I used came from the following link: http://tinyurl.com/y79r36bk
I used the Absorber to clean my stamps that I bought in the automotive dept of Walmart.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s