A Pop Up Box Card & Tim Holtz Stamp Platform Review for Hand/Wrist Issues

I’ve wanted to make one of these pop up box cards, but had never found a plan that I could execute. I found a video from MFT that worked perfectly for me, and I hope for you as well.
I got the August Hero Arts Stamp Kit that is county fair inspired, and wanted to make a pop-up box card with these stamps and dies.
I used my iron to attach a napkin that reminded me of a circus tent to card stock and attached the video explaining how to do that.
Start with 11″ x 8 1/4″ paper and score on the 11″ length at 2 5/8″, 5 1/4″, 7 7/8″, and 10 1/2″.  If you are cutting or scoring paper you’ve attached a napkin to, you’ll need to put the napkin face down for scoring or cutting.  Then cut your paper on the 8 1/4″ length at 4 1/4″. What you have remaining, is a piece that is 4″ wide and a piece that is 4 1/4″ wide. You want to keep the 4 1/4″ wide piece for your box….you’ll need the 4″ side too, as we’re going to create the “shelves” for inside our box with that paper. Cut the 4″ piece that has a 1/2″ score on the end, and cut it at 3 5/8″. Then cut that piece into 1″ strips, so they can be the shelves. They have a score on either end and are perfect for the shelving.
I cut my own 1″ pieces, because I wanted white paper, instead of the napkin covered paper for this portion of my project.
I also took a piece of white scrap paper with two dies that looked like rolling fields and rolling ground to me, so I could attach them to my “shelves” and they would look like dirt and grass. I took Distress inks in greens and browns and colored my pieces, then dried them so I could cut them for on the shelves. These pieces each need to be 2 5/8″ long, so I cut them and glued them to my “shelves”.  You need to be sure that they aren’t higher than the top score line of your box..One of mine was a little bit short, and I just made sure I covered that with one of my bigger elements. I took my 4 1/4″ box piece and scored it on the long side at 2″…I cut the 2″ side score lines down to the center score so my box had a top to it. The last 1/2″ score line, you’ll need to snip it off down to the 2″ mark and remove that, plus cut a small notch after the score, so we can attach our box together.
To put the shelves inside, start after your first score line with about a 1/4″ distance from it and so the shelf is below the center score line. Bend the fold toward the inside of the “shelf” and glue it down, then line up the next “shelf” directly behind the first, and glue it’s fold down, and continue til all four are glued in place. Then lay them down in a line on top of each other, and your other end folds are laying side by side in a straight row…bend the folds so they can work when the box is assembled, then lay them down again in a row and put glue on the tabs. I folded the box flat and held it in place after putting glue on my end notch as well and tucking it in so the box was glued together and the “shelves” were also glued in place.  Once you reopen the box, the shelves are glued in place, as is the box if this is done properly.
I cut and colored with Stabilo markers the Hero Arts stamps. I used Versafine Onyx black ink and clear embossing powder on my images and heat set them. I stamped them with the Tim Holtz Stamp Platform.
My review of the Tim Holtz Stamp Platform is this: the lid is heavy, and I found it to be wearing for me, to do repetitive stamping with it…I was tired after only stamping a few images, and do not feel it’s the right tool for me. If you don’t have hand/wrist/strength issues, it would work perfectly, but I found the lid to be overly cumbersome.

To continue with the box card….I either die cut or fussy cut all of the shapes I needed, then used four card stock pieces that were 1 7/8″ x 2 1/2″ to decorate the top flaps of the box. I used Tombow Mono Aqua glue to adhere them. I attached a long fair scene to the bottom of the box and wrapped it around the sides. Then attached some of the images to pieces of acetate so the images looked like they were floating above the “shelves.” I cut thin strips of acetate in varying lengths and glued them to the backs of the images then to the back of the shelves. I glued the roller coaster to the back flap that stays straight when the card is open, and then put the food concession on the first shelf, the Ferris wheel on the second shelf, then the next two I tried to elevate the images so there was more dimension. I glued a ticket on the front flap of the box and added a piece of white cardstock to the back for writing, that was 2 1/4″ 1 7/8″ tall. I added some clouds on foam dimensionals to the front of the card and behind the airplane that is suspended above the box.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s