Paint Resist & Plumber’s Tape Ideas, Plus New Watercolors

I’d seen Lindsay, the Frugal Crafter use this plumber’s tape for jewelry, many years ago, and thought it would be fun to use for embossing folders. I also saw Unity Stamps use white acrylic paint as a resist, and wanted to give that a try.
The stamp set I’m using is from Unity Stamps called All Cylinders
and here’s the link to it. https://www.unitystampco.com/all-cylinders/
The embossing folder I used is from Cuttlebug Provocraft called Diamond Plate. Here’s the link: http://tinyurl.com/ycxh86mz
I used foil plumbing tape that I bought at a hardware store that’s used for duct work. Here’s a link to it at Home Depot. http://tinyurl.com/y72uzf65 This tape is VERY sharp, so please be careful when you use it. I covered a piece of cardstock that was 4″ by 5 1/4″ If you don’t want to buy the tape, you could cover the cardstock with aluminum foil instead. I used my Tim Holtz snips to trim the edges. Here’s a link to them: http://tinyurl.com/yb946teq    After trimming the foil tape from the cardstock, I ran it through my Vagabond. Then took Pico Embellisher (my nozzle was clogged) and poured a small amount onto the edges of the embossed image to make it look distressed. Here’s a link for it. http://tinyurl.com/yaqvs956    I used a baby bib to apply it, as a baby wipe just wiped it back off.
I used a wide brush and colored about 1/2″ in from the sides, and all four sides with cheap white acrylic paint.  Use the same color as your paper, so if you use red paper, use a red paint that matches. Let it dry…I used a much larger piece of cardstock than I needed, probably 4 1/2″ x 6″….This was a problem, because in the end, I had to cut out this technique to make the front fit the card base….I’m sorry about that.
After it’s dry, I stamped the car on it with Versafine Onyx Black ink and then put clear embossing powder on it and heat set it.
I used a new set of watercolors I bought from Amazon for $17.99 now $16.95 and here’s the link: http://tinyurl.com/y984u6z8 and on Aliexpress, $13.87 and the link: http://tinyurl.com/ycxvj6sj   The set comes with its own water brush, although I found the one in my set very hard to squeeze to release water. I have others that are much easier to squeeze.
After coloring the red, I used a silver Chalkola marker, link, http://tinyurl.com/y9eztlvp  to scribble on a tile and color in the silver parts of the card. I used my watercolors to color the rest of the image, then dried it.
I used Distress Ink Hickory Smoke, to distress the edges of the card front, then wiped the edges so the white paint remained.  It’s too bad I had to cut so much off and lost this effect.
I used dotted tag dies from Avery Elle (that appear to be discontinued) and die cut one in red and one in white once I had stamped Hello Handsome on it. I used my paper trimmer with washi tape to cut the white tag down so it would fit inside the red die cut, then outlined the red one in black ink so it would stand out on my card. I applied it to the inside of the red card base with Tombow Mono Aqua Glue.
If you are interested in how I made my custom stamp for the back of the card, here’s a link to another video where I explain it in detail in the more info below section. http://tinyurl.com/y8j3y5uh
Then I took a ruler and a piece of fun foam and poked holes with my pokey tool through the four corners of the car front. I wanted them to be 1/4″ from the corners, so put my ruler on the card and measured so the brads would be in the same spot and straight across the front. After adhering the brads, I put tear tape on the back of card front and adhered the tire track piece and added wet glue as well as it didn’t want to stick to the textured background.
I added tear tape to the back of the tire track layer and attached it to my red card base that is 4 1/4″ tall by 5 1/2″ wide (an A2 size card)..
I had to trim the car piece down to 3 3/4″ x 5″ which eliminated the cool outer edge technique, so wanted to do something to make it stand out, so made clouds by cutting a card stock scrap into soft waves and laid it on the top of the card and rubbed white Unicorn White Hero Arts ink onto it. I used a 1″ chip brush that I cut down from Harbor Freight Liquidators. Link: http://tinyurl.com/ydf7xcpb
I added Spectrum Noir clear glitter brush marker to the car for more sparkle. Link: http://tinyurl.com/y8lbx3rd

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s