Prized Peony Card & How to Use the Peony Dies (Kind of Tricky)

I wanted to make a card featuring the Prized Peony stamp and die set from Stampin’ Up.

Prized Peony stamps link: https://www.stampinup.com/products/prized-peony-cling-stamp-set-(en)

Prized Peony dies link: https://www.stampinup.com/products/peony-dies

I used the old Stampin Up punch called the Modern label punch that’s retired but you can still find it on ebay..link: https://tinyurl.com/x7j9vtsu I punched out the sentiment from white cardstock scraps using this punch, and laid the sentiment aside.

Coloring was done with Arteza Everblend (alcohol) Markers, but any alcohol marker will work. It appears that Arteza is revamping their markers. I have several different types of alcohol markers and they all work well, so use whichever set you want.

I used Colorbox inks on the die cuts that are no longer sold, sorry.

I colored the stamen with a black water based marker and made sure to color the edges then used a Wink of Stella black marker from this set: https://tinyurl.com/khbelt4a to go over the black ink.

I used Bearly Art Glue Link: https://tinyurl.com/2em4sp52

I cut out all of the dies on white card stock then using Dollar Tree makeup brush link: https://tinyurl.com/1q6eohz0, I colored the tops of all of the flower dies, and used green alcohol markers on the leaves. The leaves come in two pieces each. One leaf has a straight edge and there’s a second die with a straight edge that you’ll color a different green color and lay on top of the straight edge leaf, gluing them together. The other leaf has a more jagged edge, so you’ll use the corresponding jagged edge piece to lay on it.

To put the flower dies together, start with the smallest die cut that you should have inked the top of, then take the next bigger die cut and slide the smaller die cut into the slit in the bigger die cut and line up the bottoms of both and put a dot of glue near the bottom between the two. Then take the next bigger die cut and slide the other two die cuts into that slit and line up the bottoms and put a dot of glue between these near the bottom. Insert the stamen in the top middle of these dies, and glue it in place. Then take the biggest die cut (this one should have color all around the edges) and insert the other die cuts into the slit on this one, line up the bottom edges of them and put a couple dots of glue at the bottom and squeeze until the glue sets. The flower is now done. You can glue your leaves to the back and ruffle out the edges if you want a more 3-d look.

The card base is 5 1/2″ tall by 4 1/4″ wide. I used white heavyweight cardstock from Michaels Recollection line link: https://tinyurl.com/4xwvbwpe and glued a layer of pink cardstock that is 5 3/8″ tall by 4 1/8″ wide to the front of the card base using a Tombow tape runner link: https://tinyurl.com/3kwjkkry I glued the die cut leaves to the back of the flower and after gluing the flower in place, I added foam squares to the back near the bottom of the leaves so they’d have dimension.. I glued down a stem and bud that I’d stamped from the Prized Peony set then glued the flower to the top of the stem. I had to add more marker to the stem to make it look strong enough to hold the flower. I laid a piece of organza clear ribbon that had gold edges (from my stash) to the bottom of the stem and wrapped it under the pink card stock layer by gently lifting the pink card stock. I used foam squares to adhere the sentiment we punched out at the beginning of the video to the ribbon. I forgot to mention that I used the makeup brush from Dollar Tree with the same ink from Color Box and brushed around the edges of the sentiment so it looks like it fits the card.

I wanted to add some dimension to the bud, and originally put Diamond Glaze on it, but it looked odd, so I tore off that bud and re-colored two buds, gluing one in place, and adding a couple of smaller leaves I had stamped and hand cut out to either side of the base of the bud. I took a foam square cut in small pieces and adhered it under the base of the bud so it’s angled up and has good dimension.

I took small pink diamonds (from my stash) that were adhered together, and cut them so they could be used singly. I used a diamond tool with wax in it to pick them off their backing and adhere them basically all over the card. I think they really set the card off..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s