I saw a video by a Stampin’ Up rep, Linda Bedinger, and here’s the link to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acWqvu8xqOI It was a fun card, and I wanted to make mine with a lot more butterfly action inside…
So I started by stamping seven of the same butterflies with Versafine Onyx Black ink and then putting clear embossing powder on them, and heat setting them.
Whimsical Butterfly Link (not used on card in video) Whimsical Butterfly:
I went to the Just for Fun website, and could only find one of the two butterfly stamps that I’d bought from them at a stamp show last year. I apologize that the second butterfly doesn’t seem to be available…I’m going to check with them to see it the other stamp was discontinued.
I stamped on Fabriano Hot Press Watercolor Paper and then used Derwent Watercolor pencils for my coloring. Link: http://tinyurl.com/y76ltr98 Personally, I prefer Prismacolor watercolor pencils for their creaminess, but had the Derwent pencils on hand and hadn’t used them yet. Here’s the link to Prismacolors….the largest set is 36 and I can’t recommend them enough. They are cheaper at DickBlick.com than in any of the craft stores, even using their largest coupons, fyi…(I don’t make any money from any products, I just have a strong opinion about these pencils.) http://tinyurl.com/yals6z7h
The colors I used were blues, yellows and greens and as I colored, I liquefied them by color family so that the brush didn’t have to be cleaned thoroughly between colors, until I reached another color family.
For the second card, I used purples, pinks, reds and oranges. That card is available to be seen on facebook and on my blog, craftingforalmosteveryone.com
I had a lot of issues with this card, as I used an embossing folder from Couture Creations called Magical. When running it through the Vagabond, I got it stuck and broke my Vagabond…Bummer! But also, because I’d accidentally left an extra plate inside the Vagabond, it squeezed the card so much that it tore the scored fold…I didn’t realize this until later in the card making process.
I’m not sure if the embossing folder I used is still available in stores, but I did find it on Ebay and here’s the link:
I rubbed a Perfect Plum ink pad from Stampin’ Up over the raised leaves, and let it dry. I eventually cut this piece to 4″ by 5 1/4″ and put it on an apricot colored card base that was 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″…
I added a couple of layers of ribbon toward the left side of the card, then cut out a sentiment from an old Stampin’ Up set called Flight of the Butterfly. I stamped it with Versamark Ink and put some purple pearl embossing powder on it and heat set it.
I put foam tape behind the center one of the butterflies, and attached it to the card front, then used a black Sharpie on the edges of the sentiment, and attached it to the end of the butterfly with wet glue.
I used my score board on each butterfly and scored them through the center on the front and back so they will easily bend. Then I took Tombow Mono Aqua glue and glued the edges of the wings, so the butterflies will fold and still expand. Fold each butterfly in half, and attach each butterfly to the next. I lined them up so the wings would meet, and held them in place with clothespins and craft clips until the glue was set.. Some of my butterflies did not line up exactly as I had trimmed them by hand, so I trimmed off any excess and used the black Sharpie on the edges where they were only a little off. I added a sentiment to the inside of the card, then glued the right side of my stack of butterflies to the inside right side of the card, glued the wing on the top butterfly in my stack, and closed the card. I laid something heavy on it to hold it until the glue is set.
I decided the inside of the card needed more decorative features, so used three butterfly peg stamps with Simon Says Stamp Intense black ink and used alcohol markers to color them.
Smallest butterfly stamp link: http://tinyurl.com/y72ac59u
The other two butterfly stamps are no longer available, but here are the butterflies that are: http://tinyurl.com/yc3wwa7b
I used a variety of brands of alcohol markers to color and blend my butterflies in pinks, oranges and purples to match the butterflies.
I like the card when it’s open, as it looks like designer paper with butterflies flying away from it.