I had a bunch of scrap paper left over from the purse we made and I wanted to make six cards to fit inside the purse..I started with 110 lb Recollections (from Michaels) heavy weight card stock in cream for card bases. I cut them to 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ when closed 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″, an A2 size card.
I used sentiments from Aliexpress and a stamp set called Many Greetings from My Creative Times.
Cut the sentiments with dies from a Spellbinders set from the Small Dies of the Month, March, 2018. I put my greetings on the magnetic plate of my Vagabond and laid the dies on top of them, then rubbed washi tape on the sleeve of my shirt, and taped the dies in place (for those of you who don’t have a magnetic plate.) My plastic plates are warped so I wanted to be sure mine would stay in place, and added the washi to them so they would.
I made a lot more sentiments than I would need, but I wanted the recipient to be able to use the ones that they needed on the cards. Some people need a lot of thank you, or happy birthday, so I made sure they could apply only the ones that they needed to the cards.
If you only have larger dies, I showed how to trim a sentiment so it would work with them. Took a rectangular die that was much longer than I needed, and laid it as close the the left side of the image as possible and cut that, then laid it as close to the right side as possible and cut it again. FYI, this doesn’t work well with dies that are embossed (raised) on the edges, as it’s almost impossible to line it up so the embossing doesn’t look odd. I used a stitched die, and if you try to line up the die with the existing stitches, you should have good results. The die set I used was also from Aliexpress.
I stamped the sentiments with brown and black inks from Versamark, then put clear embossing powder on them and heat set them (off camera.)
I wanted these cards to fit inside the pockets of the purse so I didn’t layer them with foam so they weren’t very dimensional. Didn’t have a ribbon that matched my card, so took an alcohol marker and colored it so it was more pinky-peach. For my second card, I used a scalloped edge border punch from Stampin’ Up and layered one of the images on black paper that was leftover. The black layer was 4″ x 5 1/4″. I had a blue ribbon that I laid on the left edge of the scalloped layer, vertically, and tied a knot in it to resemble a bow.
The next card I showed how I chose from the scraps, and used a dotted design that was 4″x 5 1/4″ and put tear tape on the back, then layered it on the card. I used Funky Tonic Glue Pen to glue down strips of black to the back of a patterned blue piece as the black scraps weren’t wide enough to cover the blue piece on their own. It’s a great way to make more use of leftover paper. I glued the black lined blue scrap about 1/4″ from the left side of the dotted paper, then laid a floral image on top of it.
For the next card, I did the same technique with black paper, so my pink striped paper would end up being 4 x 5 1/4″ once the black paper was affixed to either edge. Then glued a blue and beige paper that was about 1 1/4″ wide by 5″ long onto the center of the card and laid a length of postage stamp images onto black paper, cut the black paper so it was about 1/4″ wider and taller than the stamps, and centered it on the blue and beige layer.
I stamped the back of all of my cards with a stamp I had made by Discount Rubber Stamps that says “I made this for you.”. I thought it was a great plan as I’m giving these so that someone else can mail them and the recipient will think they made the cards for them.
The next card was strips of blue patterned paper that edged a blue polka dot layer on either side to make it 4 x 5 1/4″ and put a large bird image on top.
The last card was a blue background 4 x 5 1/4″, with a polka dot layer that was about 2 1/2″ wide by 5 1/4″ long…I added a black layer that had a bird image on it…the black layer was about 1/4″ wider and taller than the bird image..glued that on the center of the polka dot layer and called it a day.