I wanted to make a birthday card for a man who was our college professor and is 80. He loved handmade cards and always is so excited when he opens them, so I wanted to make something special for him.
I used a Spellbinders Label 23 second largest die to cut out the center of a 4 3/4 x 6 3/4″ piece of 110 lb Heavyweight Recollections cardstock in white.
The bird stamp is an old Stampin’ Up set called A Happy Thing stamp set..here’s a link to it on ebay. http://tinyurl.com/yy7by9c8
I used bird sentiments “A little birdie told me” from an old Stampin’ Up set and here’s a link to it. http://tinyurl.com/y5abtmlf
I started by cutting a piece of acetate to 4 1/2 x 6 1/2″ and put it in the MISTI and put the cardstock with the frame cut-out over the acetate and laid the bird where I wanted it to lay inside the frame cut-out. I pulled the framed cardstock back out of the MISTI and stamped the bird with Ranger Archival ink (link: http://tinyurl.com/y4gou3co)
I bought a Baren from dickblick.com to help me stamp with the MISTI (link: https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-economy-baren/ ) to avoid getting my forearms bruised from pressing on it.
I used spray green alcohol ink and sprayed it all over the frame piece of cardstock. I linked the video showing how to make this ink when I explain it in the video. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoAMNIVqF-k
Then I took a cardbase that was a 5 x 7″ pre-made card base and using a small Gina K Amalgam Black Ink (link: http://tinyurl.com/yxache4o ) with a scrap paper under the card base and rubbed the ink cube over the edges so I have a black edge to my card base.
I stamped sentiments on the green framed piece and inside the card from the Little birdie told me stamp set linked above.
I decided to color the bird on the acetate so used my Touch Five alcohol markers on it. 35, 36, 3, 31,41,101,104,99, and a Black Sharpie. You’ll want to color on the back of the stamped acetate and you need to use darker colors than normal as the colors don’t show up as bright when you ink on the back of acetate. I don’t buy my acetate, instead just use what I get in stamp sets.
After the bird is finished, I put tear tape on the back of the framed cut out to ensure the acetate would stick to it. I attached the acetate and then put foam tape around the back of the bird and used talcum powder to put on the inside edges of the foam tape so the shaker components won’t stick to the foam tape. You need to put two layers of foam tape so your shaker components shake. I used my embossing pouch to add the talcum. I added small beads and party table confetti for my shaker components. I laid the front of the card face down and filled it with the beads and confetti, then laid the card base on top of it so the shaker components don’t come out. Then rubbed the back of the card well to adhere the foam tape to the card base.
I wanted to add 3-d flowers to the front so used three punches.
Martha Stewart branch punch link: http://tinyurl.com/y2agqqkd
Martha Stewart frond punch link: http://tinyurl.com/y2nfhoma
Stampin’ Up flower punch –I couldn’t find one of these on ebay, sorry. It would have helped if I knew the name of it, but sadly, did not..
I bought flower stamen from Aliexpress and used a pokey tool to poke the center of my red flowers with a stylus you find with cake decorating tools link: http://tinyurl.com/y5uocs4a to rub the centers of my flowers (laying them on fun foam so you have cushion) Then poked the hole through the center and pushed through two stamen and used hot glue to hold them in place.
I colored the leaves and fronds in greens and then glued them to the card front, then put the flowers where I wanted them and hot glued the flowers down. I decided the flowers should be glittery, so used a paint brush and Liquitex Professional Irridescent Medium with a little water and mixed them…It’s like Wink of Stella but you get so much more, it’s worth it to buy the bottle link: http://tinyurl.com/y2f7jkwz
I hope you enjoyed this card…lots of different techniques, but a simple card…